Appe / Kuzhi Paniyaram / Paddu typically originate from southern part of India. They are the semi circular dumplings made from rice & urad dal batter or idli batter. A special pan is used to make these called Paniyaram Chatti or Appe Pan. They can be made plain, spiced or even sweet as well. The ones I have made have just green chili, ginger and gram dal in it. They are crisp from outside and soft from within. It’s a classic dish for evening snacks. Usually served with coconut green chutney. Very easy to make and tasty too….
Appe / Paniyaram / Paddu
Appe is a snack dish which can be plain, spicy or sweet...Crunchy from outside and soft from inside...Once started, you will feel like continue devour these golden brown beauties....
- Urad Dal – 1 cup
- Idli rava – 500gms
- Green chilies – 8-10 nos.
- Ginger – 1 1/2 inch piece
- Chana dal (gram dal) – 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil – For shallow frying Appe
- Appe pan (mold)
- Soak urad dal with sufficient water for two hours
- Drain the soaked urad dal and grind it well with very little water until very smooth batter is formed. Keep aside.
- In a separate vessel, wash idli rave under water. Drain idli rava.
- Add ground urad dal to idli rava
- Blend green chili, ginger and 1 tsp salt coarsely and add to the above batter.
- Add chana dal and salt (as per taste) and mix the batter well. Don’t add any water at this stage.
- Keep covered for 1.5 to 2 hours
- After 1.5 to 2 hours, keep the App Pan on the gas stove on medium heat. Add 1tsp oil to each appe mold in the pan.
- Add 1 to 1.5 tsp of batter in each of the molds such that batter levels well upto top of the mold
- Once you find the bottom of the appe start turning golden brown and also when it starts leaving the pan side (3-4 minutes), with the help of the spoon, turn the appe upside down within the mold and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Once done, take appe out of the pan and serve hot with coconut green chutney.