Appe / Kuzhi Paniyaram / Paddu
Appe / Kuzhi Paniyaram / Paddu typically originate from southern part of India. They are the semi circular dumplings made from rice & urad dal batter or idli batter. A special pan is used to make these called Paniyaram Chatti or Appe Pan. They can be made plain, spiced or even sweet as well. The ones I have made have just green chili, ginger and gram dal in it. They are crisp from outside and soft from within. It’s a classic dish for evening snacks. Usually served with coconut green chutney. Very easy to make and tasty too….
- Appe pan (mold)
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 500 gms Idli rava
- 8-10 nos Green chilies
- 1 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1/4 cup Chana dal gram dal
- Salt to taste
- Oil – For shallow frying Appe
- Soak urad dal with sufficient water for two hours1 cup Urad Dal
- Drain the soaked urad dal and grind it well with very little water until very smooth batter is formed. Keep aside.
- In a separate vessel, wash idli rava under water. Drain idli rava.500 gms Idli rava
- Add ground urad dal to idli rava
- Blend green chili, ginger and 1 tsp salt coarsely and add to the above batter.8-10 nos Green chilies, 1 1/2 inch Ginger, Salt to taste
- Add chana dal and salt (as per taste) and mix the batter well. Don’t add any water at this stage.1/4 cup Chana dal
- Keep covered for 1.5 to 2 hours
- After 1.5 to 2 hours, keep the App Pan on the gas stove on medium heat. Add 1tsp oil to each appe mold in the pan.Oil – For shallow frying Appe
- Add 1 to 1.5 tsp of batter in each of the molds such that batter levels well upto top of the mold
- Once you find the bottom of the appe start turning golden brown and also when it starts leaving the pan side (3-4 minutes), with the help of the spoon, turn the appe upside down within the mold and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Once done, take appe out of the pan and serve hot with coconut green chutney.